Sunday, July 25, 2010

seven twenty five












Many times I cannot recall exact memories or stories from when I was younger, I just don't have that kind of recall. So when people tell stories about something from when they were younger or about some long past memory, I usually strain to think of what I might have been doing about that time in my life.

Even important dates don't always stick in the right spot on the memory timeline. My previous birthdays have begun to run together. Oh some stand outs do pop up ... A costume party, a race car cake, and the like.
I guess my brain is so filled with trival facts that it has done a disk cleanup on dates and memories.
However I know of one very important date that sticks in my mind...

July 25, 2007.

I can tell you what i did this day in great detail. My future sister in law Kelley had spent the night and we got up super early. We got dresses in our matching tshirts-one of the few tunes I would willingly abd proudly wear a tshirt. We jumped in the car and headed across town. It was still dark when we arrived at our destination.
Now the big event wasn't even scheduled for hours but I was acting like a manical crazed teenager about to see my favorite movie star or singer. I wanted to be there before any of the action started, I wanted to get my seat and not miss a minute. Do I sound obsessed? Yes I'm sure I do. And I am okay with that.
Sooo other people start arriving... Friends, family, food deliveries. We all camped out in the waiting area awaiting the big moment. Hours pass and time moves so slow. We try playing cards, which I have no patience for on a normal day, and as always with my family, we eat, tell stories, and laugh.

Finally a little after 3pm, we hear it's time!!!

We line up like cattle down the hallway. Of course, MD (mom & dad) get to go first, but quickly it's my turn. I think I may have run down that hallway into the room. Finally the time has arrived and I have added another piece to who I am.
Daughter. Sister. Friend.

This one I've waited for since I was a small child. It's been my biggest dream for as long as I can remember. I didn't want to be a doctor, lawyer, astronaut, or the like.
I am an AUNT!!!

I have never experienced a feeling quite like the first moment I saw Garrett. Talk about love at first sight.
(My poor sister had just given birth and I don't think I spoke to her for the first few minutes I was in the room.)
I cannot describe how amazing and fun the last three years have been watching this child grow and cannot wait to be there the rest of my life.
And today my amazing, hysterically funny, full of life, beautiful nephew turns 3! Gee loves you more than you'll ever know.

Happy birthday, Garrett Keith!

1 comment:

I LOVE SHUTTERFLY

5x7 Folded Card
View the entire collection of cards.