Sunday, August 22, 2010

Building Cities in the Leaves

"It is almost fall. It is almost fall." If I keep saying it, it will be here soon.

I love fall for many reasons...
cool weather,
pretty leaves,
football season,
and my BIRTHDAY (October 14!!!)

I realized today that August is almost over and around the corner autumn waits patiently for its turn.  I am sure anyone living around Texas this time of year must be as happy about cooler weather as me.  With fall comes a fun memory. 

Soooo I have 7 siblings-four brothers, three sisters. Growing up was a blast, even now is a blast.  Our family get togethers are pure insane bundles of energy and noise.  Part of growing up was entertaining ourselves and with 8 kids under the age of 18 under 1 roof, we grew up playing outside-Obviously.  Every once in awhile my parents will ask us random questions, and recently Dad asked me, "What was your favorite memory growing up?"  I have an instant answer, and it turns out that most of my siblings share the same one...
(Sadly it is not dressing Joel and Jere up in jewelry and make up-if only I could find those pictures)

The favored memory for us... building cities in the leaves.

We lived in our "blue house" which had a massive back yard perfect for a herd of children with imaginations running wild.  We designed intricate cities, houses, rooms, and streets out of leaves and dirt with rakes and shovels.  In these make believe places, we rode our bikes, pulled our wagons, and played for hours. 

I, honestly, cannot remember details of what we did for those hours upon hours, but I do remember spending forever on bikes riding around the "streets" visiting other "houses".  I am sure with my brothers hilarious sense of humor and imaginative storytelling, we must have had some hysterical stories and laughter.

So for me, seeing that fall is almost here, once I see the leaves start changing, this will be the thing that continues to come to mind. I cannot wait to run kick a pile of leaves and remember the fun times in the cities with my family.

No comments:

I LOVE SHUTTERFLY

5x7 Folded Card
View the entire collection of cards.